Saturday, May 19, 2012

Notre Dame...and the funny story:)












In French, Notre Dame means 'Our Lady', referring to whom it was dedicated to: the Virgin Mary (as were many other churches at this time).  This cathedral is one of the first Gothic cathedrals to have been built.  It features flying buttresses, high spires, and thin walls inlaid with tall, stained glass windows - as opposed to the old Romanesque style, with low walls, hardly any windows, and heavy roofs.


Old French critics called it Gothic architecture after the Goths, who were barbarians, because the style did not follow any common rules or laws of architecture.  Personally, I find it awesome - you know, the cool towers and gargoyles.  Actually, gargoyles serve a greater purpose than just for looks.  They are used for downspouts, to collect rain off of the roof - as you can see from the pictures.  Also, if you look at the photo on the right, you can see the flying buttresses, holding up the thin, high walls of the cathedral. 

When my family and I travelled to Paris over the summer, we went to Notre Dame, and we have an...interesting story.  It goes a little something like this:

In Paris, there are signs everywhere to warn tourists about pickpocketing (like the one to the left).  My mother had bought one of those bags with the hidden zippers and the straps that can't be cut, so I knew we were going to be safe.  We were walking towards the end of the line of people waiting to go inside Notre Dame.  I'd say that I was walking probably about 10 feet back from my mother, who was walking next to my sister, with my dad behind me.  Suddenly, I see this guy coming across the street.  But he wasn't just walking, he was walking fast, and excessively moving his arms, and he was heading in the direction of my mom.  Now, please, visualize.  The guy was just creepy looking.  He had black clothes on and he was wearing a mask - not like a ski mask, but a mask with a face on it.  He put his arms out, as if to hug my mom or take her purse.  My sister, Caroline, sees the man out of the corner of her eye, and whips around to face him.  She yells, "STOP IT!!", and jabs the man in the solar plexus (common self-defense).  My mother spins around and shouts "NO!!!!".  The people in line start hysterically laughing and the guy stares at the ground, looking offended.  Not until we reach the end of the line do I realize he is a street actor, acting as the Hunchback of Notre Dame, entertaining the people about to go inside.  And we weren't the only victims of his comedic act.

Now that I look back on it, it was truly hilarious.  The man followed a group of first graders or so, and went up behind the teacher.  He hunched over, looking really short and grabbed the teacher's hand.  A few seconds later, she looked down and screams, running away from the man.  Another time, I saw this woman trying to put on her jacket.  She can't find the other sleeve, so the guy grabs it, walking her pace for a few moments.  Later, she looks back, trying to figure out why she can't put her jacket on and starts laughing.  You may say that it's mean, which is what I thought, but I'm telling you, it is funny now.  Besides, the actor was just trying to please the crowd.

If you are ever planning on going to a big city, even if it's not Paris, I would highly suggest being on your guard and on the lookout for pickpocket people.  Anyway, the inside of the cathedral is absolutely breathtaking and the view from the roof is incredible.  I would recommend visiting Notre Dame on your next trip to Paris!

- Colette

1 comment:

  1. Ahhhh, Paris! Yes it was funny, even right after it happened, though I remember your sister being a little upset :( It was fun to watch all the victims after us while we waited in line, and even better to climb the bell tower and see the views!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I try to respond quickly to all comments. Please make sure your profile is set up with an accurate email address.